Research Officer – Matrix and Metastasis Group
The Garvan Institute of Medical Research is one of Australia’s leading medical research institutes, with over 600 scientists, students and support staff. We pioneer study into the most widespread diseases affecting our community today, including cancer, neurodegenerative and mental diseases, disorders of the immune system, diabetes and obesity, osteoporosis and other skeletal disorders.
Led by Thomas Cox, the recently established Matrix & Metastasis Group within the Cancer Division at the Garvan Institute of Medical Research is interested in regulation of tumour progression and metastasis by the extracellular matrix. The proposed project will study the influence of the ECM on cancer progression to enable better understanding of metastasis and to use this information to develop new and improved therapeutic approaches. For more information, visit: https://www.garvan.org.au/research/cancer/invasion-and-metastasis/matrix-and-metastasis
We are seeking a Research Officer (PostDoc) to join the group. Accountable, under direction, for conducting research leading to the identification of the biological, genetic and molecular processes that control tumour progression, invasion and metastasis, you will be ambitious and a keen contributor to the team, it’s discussions, organisation and management.
The successful candidate should possess the following
- A PhD or MD qualification, preferably in molecular biology, bioengineering or biochemistry
- Exceptional laboratory and analytical skills
- Experience in presenting data orally
- Experience in tumour biology and matrix biology (preferable)
- Less than two years of post-doctoral training
- High motivation and level of commitment to achieving scientific goals
- Excellent time management and written communication skills
- A high attention to detail and ability to carry out high quality work routinely
- Willingness to apply for fellowship grants
- High quality publication record
Garvan offers a friendly and professional work environment in state of the art modern building and facilities, on-site café, social club and close to cafes and public transport. You’ll be rewarded with a competitive salary, above market Superannuation and attractive salary packaging options. This role is full-time up to 3 years.
How to apply
Please prepare your application and submit via the directions below:
- Cover Letter addressing the Selection Criteria above
- Your CV including 3 Referees
- Relevant Academic Transcripts / qualifications
This role will remain open until filled.
Applications must be submitted via https://www.garvan.org.au/careers/career-opportunities to be considered